Thursday 27 November 2014

The Book of Rules



For my first assignment, if you exclude this rambling blog, I am to write a position paper.
I have focused on “how to” this week; how to find sources of information, how to come up with a thesis, how to argue your thesis, how to defend your thesis, basically, how to produce an interesting yet scholarly position paper. I have collated all these “how to’s” into what I now refer to as my Book of rules.
My Book of rules tells me to research my topic in order to develop a background on the subject and provide myself a list of pro’s and con’s before deciding which side of the argument to support. Thanks to the handy-dandy internet, I was able to search for books, journals and helpful webpages. The hard part was picking out sources that were not only relevant but genuine. There is so much garbage online these days. I found the task a lot easier when I sneakily used my work computer. As it turns out, I have access to thousands of reputable journals that have been weeded out from the rest, not to mention an entire library of books that have been used in previous studies on the subject! Someone did half the work for me, JACKPOT!
I have resources sussed and feel more at ease about this paper… until I remember the Book of rules and how I never quite go to the last "how to". How to make sense of it all?!


4 comments:

  1. oooh lucky! That's a good resource :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you find this resource. that is a major help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which resource are you talking about Rose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the one where you said somoeone had done like half the work for you

      Delete